|Weeks Memorial Library||
The Lancaster Public Library began in 1884 when George P. Rowell gave the town a thousand books and the use of the former Lancaster Academy building as a free public library.
In 1906 the Hon. John Wingate Weeks offered to build a new library for the town in memory of his father.
Construction of the William D. Weeks Memorial Library began in 1906, and the new building was opened in 1908. In 1994, when it became obvious that the library had outgrown its building, a Building and Expansion Committee was formed to study and plan for new space. The addition, which was started in 1998 and completed in 1999, tripled the library's size. We are focused on growth and continue to expand our collections and services to meet the needs of our population.
Weeks Memorial Library now holds more than 62,000 items which include not only books but also videos, DVDs, books on tape, and magazines.
An extensive history and genealogy collection has been developed and is being used by people throughout the country.
More than 4000 residents of Lancaster and surrounding communities hold active library cards.
The William D. Weeks Memorial Library:
- Celebrates and fosters recreational learning through activities, technology, and programs for persons of all ages
- Serves as a public warehouse (repository) of ideas, a place where information can be shared from print, audio-visual, and online sources with the help of trained specialists who organize and make these resources accessible
- Is the hub of our community where information, k_nowledge, culture, and history interface with people
The goals of the William D. Weeks Memorial Library are to:
1. double the library's endowment in five years
2. increase public awareness and use of our facility and resources by 5% in twelve months
3. have the library’s collection on-line in five years
4. allocate additional space and resources to the library’s archival
collection in one year
5. develop a method of soliciting public input as to our services,
collection, and budget within three years
6. establish a reliable, usable instrument to evaluate professional staff
that is goal and growth focused in one year
The library trustees have custody and management of the public library and of all the property of the town relating to it, except trust funds held by the town (RSA 202-A:6).
The powers and duties of library trustees (RSA202-A:11) include adopting bylaws, rules and regulations for the library, preparing an annual budget, expending all moneys raised and appropriated by the town for library purposes, expending income from all trust funds for the support and maintenance of the library, and appointing a librarian.
Current trustees are:
Ben Gaetjens-Oleson, chairman
Linda Hutchins, secretary
Michael Nadeau, treasurer
Barbara R. Robarts, Library Director
Ronnie Zajac, Youth Services Librarian